Saturday 7 July 2018

"The Fox sTrap" - Pro Tips DIY the ultimate camera strap with quick release for my Canon 5D MK IV

"The Fox sTrap" - Pro Tips DIY the ultimate camera strap with quick release for my Canon 5D MK IV

DIY ultimate camera strap the
"Fox sTrap"
There was some interest expressed on social media in my homemade DIY amended Canon 5D MK IV camera strap with quick release and Velcro fastening bundling option.

Obviously there are plenty of time when I need* the camera strap, as well as plenty of times when it annoyingly in the way. 

The two quick release click-
locks make it a doodle to
attach/detach the camera
strap.
However, there are many times when I want the strap off - when creating stock footage where it interferes with sliders, gimbals etc. 

The attached Velcro
strap enables the strap
to be bundled up and
out of the way!

So since a while back I “invented” something "new". I took the original camera strap, two sturdy quick release clip-locks that I re-purposed from two lanyards, two sturdy key rings (from the same lanyards) and a bit of Velcro strap. Now the camera strap can come off/on quickly. When not in use but don’t want it off it can be folded up and the Velcro band holds it in place. The Velcro strap is attached with black gaffer tape, where the second layer/lap and onward to the end is super glued. This ensures that the surface of the strap is unaffected and can be removed without residue when the day comes to sell the camera, it also ensures that the gaffer tape stays in place. I also added bits of black gaffer tape on the camera to protect it from getting any scratches from friction from the key rings. Works like a charm and £50-£110 saved by not buying similar ones from well-known brands. Hopefully this will help someone else.

*Prevent dropping to the ground and break, as an impromptu steadier (tension trick), free up my hands as I always bring a camera with me, not always the camera back pack. Also the viewfinder light blocker is conveniently attached to the strap, which is needed for long exposures.

/Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Note that comments are moderated and I'll always try to do it as quick as I can. Thank You.

Copyright Claims to become MORE difficult, MORE expensive and take LONGER to resolve

Copyright Claims to become MORE difficult, MORE expensive and take LONGER to resolve Stumbled upon the news today that unfortunately, to t...